5 Myths About Incontinence
While the concept of incontinence is simple, there are some myths and truths about the subject that are important to clarify as explained below:
- We will all have incontinence as we age. While there is a strong relationship between the age of the person and the development of urinary incontinence, not everyone will develop urinary incontinence because we are not all exposed to certain risk factors that increase its likelihood.
- I am young, I can’t have incontinence. There are reported cases of incontinence in very young people from the age of 20 and up, so age is not a determining factor.
- Only women suffer from incontinence. Although it is more common in women, men can also suffer from urinary incontinence.
- It is normal for leaks to happen when you cough or laugh. Any case in which there is a loss of urine is not normal. If this happens, however small the loss, you should check with your doctor.
- Surgery is the only solution for incontinence. Incontinence is different in each person and so are the treatments. There are several options and your doctor will choose the one that best suits your case.